To any busy mom, a steaming cup of coffee is the almost divine solution to late-night feedings, under-the-bed monster checks, and all-night baking sessions for the class treat you just found out about the night before. The dark, aromatic liquid is also a much-needed slice of “me” time doled out by the ever-talented Starbucks barristas. You aren’t alone in nursing your favorite blend to start the day, whether that’s during messy toddler breakfast time or in your gridlocked morning commute, as the $30 billion dollar industry supported by the 83% of Americans who love the liquid can attest to. While this caffeinated liquid gold often makes the difference between getting the kids to the bus stop on time or pulling up late to the drop-off circle, did you know it offers numerous health and beauty benefits as well? From coffee grounds to facial scrub, caffeine is the unsung undercurrent of busy, beautiful moms everywhere.
Health Benefits of Caffeine
Many moms choose to drink coffee to alleviate mental fog, provide a burst of much-needed energy when lagging, and improve brain function but there are many other long-lasting benefits that make it much more than just a tasty drink.
· Protection against neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s Disease or Dementia.
· You’ve heard of carbo-loading, but have you heard of coffee-replenishment? Following a strenuous workout, athletes who consume a blend of both caffeine and carbs have a noticeably greater concentration of glycogen in their muscle tissue than if they were to just ingest carbs alone.
· Caffeine enemas detoxify the liver.
· Grab the coffee AND the sunblock! Multiple studies have shown that caffeine both prevents skin cancer and increases the body’s resistance to developing melanoma.
· A widely known diuretic, regular coffee/caffeine intake reduces the risk of developing kidney stones.
Caffeine as a Beauty Product
As a mom, juggling soccer practice pickups, homework help, and getting dinner on the table by six leaves little time for a long multi-step beauty routine. Thankfully, caffeine-based beauty products work quickly and effectively to hide those dark under-eye circles and leave skin feeling and looking tighter/more rejuvenated.
· Reduces inflammation. There’s a reason why caffeine is the active ingredient in most under-eye creams! Full of antioxidants that slow down the damaging of cells, these products reduce the redness and puffiness that even concealer can’t mask.
· Goodbye dry skin! Coffee body scrubs remove dead skin without drying it out and stripping the top layer of essential oils.
· Healthy hair without an expensive trip to the salon. Caffeine penetrates cells in the hair follicle and delivers vital active ingredients to combat premature hair loss/restore growth.
· So long cellulite! Caffeine increases blood flow while dehydrating fat cells, which makes slipping into that bathing suit at your child’s swim party at least a little less daunting.
So save those coffee grounds and enjoy your morning cup, there’s more to coffee than just the taste and pick-me up! By incorporating caffeine into your daily beauty routine you can improve both cognition and body systems, and look gorgeous while doing it. Being a mom doesn’t mean you have to stop taking care of YOU…so sip on, sister!
Latest posts by Sally Collins (see all)
- 5 Tips for Protecting You and Your Child from UV Rays - June 1, 2017
- There’s More to Your Morning Cup of Joe: Caffeine’s Surprising Beauty Benefits - May 25, 2017
- Are You OVER-Cleaning Your Home? - May 21, 2017