What is Breast Milk Jewelry and Keepsake Jewelry Anyway?

When someone first hears that I make breast milk jewelry and keepsake jewelry they often have questions. While many women are familiar with this type of jewelry and understand how special it is, there are others who aren’t and are intrigued. But when they learn about it, they fall in love with the idea…and I’m one of those women. What started as simply wanting to make a piece for myself, turned into an opportunity to make these mementos for other moms too through Milk Vine Jewelry. So what is breast milk jewelry and keepsake jewelry, who buys it and why do I make it? Let me explain…

I’m a mother of two wonderful boys and proudly breastfed both. Like many moms, I had my own challenges while breastfeeding, but as I gazed into their sweet eyes, my heart melted and I knew I wanted to preserve the memory forever. As my kids grew older and they no longer needed Froggy and their blankie to keep them safe at night, I wanted a way to keep a little part of those special ‘friends.’ I found a way to celebrate my breastfeeding journey and keep a memento of my kid’s lovies – breast milk jewelry and keepsake jewelry!

What is Breast Milk Jewelry and Keepsake Jewelry?

What is Breast Milk Jewelry?

Breast Milk Pearl Teardrop Earrings - Hooray for Moms
Breast Milk Pearl Teardrop Earrings

Each mom’s breastfeeding journey is unique. Some moms find breastfeeding their little ones comes easily, while other moms struggle. Breast milk jewelry celebrates the struggles, the determination, and the love you have for your little ones.

Breast milk jewelry is a special type of jewelry made from your own breast milk. I use a unique method to preserve your breast milk and turn it into a hard jewel, making it perfect for creating beautiful jewelry that lasts for years to come.

A mom’s breast milk is unique to her, therefore every piece of jewelry is also unique. That’s what makes these pieces so special! The translucency and color of breast milk ranges from very light to white to creamy yellow and even a slight blue tint. This makes your piece of jewelry a one-of-kind, hand-crafted piece that will be a beautiful reminder of your breastfeeding journey. And it only takes about a ½ ounce to make each piece. One of the other cool things about this jewelry is that it can also be private. No one would know it’s made of breast milk just by looking at it, so moms can keep this fact private if they choose, or they can shout it from the rooftops!

What is Keepsake Jewelry?

Flower Petal Keepsake Jewelry - Hooray for Moms
Flower Petal Keepsake Pendant

Life is full of milestones – from births to weddings, proms, graduations and more! Keepsake jewelry is a beautiful way to preserve memories by inserting a special inclusion in your jewelry such as your placenta, a piece of a baby blanket or wedding dress, flower petal or something else special to you. No breast milk is necessary! For a baby’s blanket, wedding dress or other material, I cut it into smaller pieces and include it in the preservation process so it adds a special effect to your jewelry. These pieces of jewelry can be made with or without breast milk. If made without breast milk, they are set in a resin mixture (you can even add a pearl shimmer), creating a beautiful piece.

Who Buys Breast Milk Jewelry and Keepsake Jewelry?

Breast milk jewelry isn’t just for moms, it’s also for dads and women who donate breast milk. It’s a wonderful way to commemorate your breastfeeding journey, but it’s also a lovely gift for someone who has donated their breast milk to you. Just think of what a special sentiment it would be to give your donor a beautiful piece of jewelry made from their breast milk. Keepsake jewelry is a special reminder of life’s special moments and mementos. That special blankie your child always totes around, that soft bear, your wedding dress, a rose from your wedding bouquet…they are all reminders of special moments and memories and I can turn a piece of them into a ring/necklace/earrings you will cherish always.

Why Do I Make Breast Milk and Keepsake Jewelry?

The reason I make breast milk and keepsake jewelry is simple – it’s because it means something special to me and to others, and that fills me with happiness.

After becoming a mom, my world changed. And as I watch my kids grow older I finally understand what people always say, “Enjoy it while you can, because they grow so fast.” It’s so true. Of course, I’m beyond proud of my kids and love watching them grow, but I’m also quite sentimental and with each new milestone comes more reasons to be nostalgic. I’m the sappy mom that hangs and then saves every piece of art my kids bring home, the mom that can’t say ‘I love you’ enough or give/get enough hugs, the mom that wants to hold onto my kids’ youth and make them live with me forever (even though my oldest has assured me he’s going to college and if I want to stay around him I’ll need to move to his college town as well – another reason to be proud!).

Breast Milk Jewel Pendant - Hooray for Moms
Breast Milk Jewel Pendant

I’ve always wanted to do something that really means something to me. I’ve worked in publishing for nearly 20 years, and while I thoroughly enjoy it, I felt I was missing something. I wanted to do something to give back – to the world, to parents…something! I also wanted a way to capture these special memories with my kids. I found that I can both give something special and capture moments in breast milk and keepsake jewelry. I set out to figure out how to make these special pieces. It was quite a technical and difficult preservation process to learn, and it took me quite some time to perfect it, but I’m happy I did. Not only do I now have beautiful pieces of jewelry I’ve made with my own breast milk and pieces of lovies, but I also feel honored to make these wonderful pieces for other moms and dads as well.

What began as simply wanting to create a special keepsake for myself turned into an opportunity to create these mementos for other mothers too. I wanted to do something that has meaning to both me and to others, and I’ve found this in crafting jewelry that celebrates all of life’s special moments.

To learn more about breast milk and keepsake jewelry and to view my collection, please visit www.milkvine.com.

What do you think about breast milk and keepsake jewelry? Would you wear it? What would you include in your settings?  Would you keep it a secret or shout it from the rooftops?

Hot Pink Wellingtons
ethannevelyn.com
My Random Musings
“Mrs.AOK,
Mummy Times Two
The Secret Diary of Agent Spitback

Epic Mommy Adventures
JENerally Informed

3 Little Buttons
Cuddle Fairy
Tammymum
Kellie S

Kellie S

Kellie Sandrik is the creator of the online magazine Hooray for Moms. She has been writing for more than a decade about everything from parenting to travel to money-saving tips and more. She is the proud mother of two boys who drive her nuts and make her fall deeper in love with them on a daily basis. Her favorite thing to do is experience new adventures with her boys and husband.
Kellie S
Please share, follow and like us:

Kellie S

43 thoughts on “What is Breast Milk Jewelry and Keepsake Jewelry Anyway?

• March 30, 2017 at 3:59 pm

What an interesting idea! I think something like this would make a lovely gift. Even for yourself. Thank you for sharing with the #DreamTeam xx

• March 31, 2017 at 9:47 am

Thank you so much! I agree, it’s perfect for yourself or as a gift! Thank yo for checking me out 🙂

• March 29, 2017 at 9:22 am

Aw, bummer! Well, if you should decide you’d like some jewelry made from a piece of a baby blanket, lovie, etc, just let me know! Thank you for checking me out!

• March 27, 2017 at 7:12 am

I love this idea – I’m currently breastfeeding and would definitely like to get something made to remind me #familyfunlinky

• March 27, 2017 at 9:40 am

I would love to make a special piece of jewelry for you! I have a few new settings I’ll be unveiling this week too (and will have ornaments coming soon as well), so stay tuned! Let me know when you’re ready, and thanks for checking this out!

• March 26, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Each to their own !! I know women who won’t wear diamonds for ethical reasons so if breast milk jewellery is something that people like and want to wear it’s not doing anyone any harm. I had never even hear of it before reading this post so i am glad i did . #postsfromtheheart

• March 27, 2017 at 9:41 am

It’s certainly unusual, I don’t argue that! lol But it’s also so special. And the cool thing is that no one even has to know it’s your breast milk if you don’t want them to know. hehehe Thanks so much for reading!

• March 24, 2017 at 2:03 pm

I love this idea and for someone that doesn’t wear jewellery I’d definitely consider it and tell people about it. Goes to look at the website…

‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬

• March 27, 2017 at 9:43 am

Thanks so much! It’s such a special thing indeed. I’ll be unveiling new settings as well as ornaments made from breast milk soon too (some will be unveiled this week, so stay tuned), so if you’re not into jewelry there’s another way to consdier having this special memento. I appreciate you spreading the word, and thanks for reading!

• March 24, 2017 at 5:01 am

Wow this is incredible! I’ve never heard of this before and I’m so sad that I didn’t know when I was breastfeeding as it was such an important part of our lives I would have loved to have commemorated it in this way. Absolutely lovely! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub with this xoxo

• March 24, 2017 at 8:48 am

Thanks so much! I’m so glad you like it and understanding the meaning. 🙂 If you’d ever like a piece of their lovie or baby blanket (etc) I’d love to make a beautiful piece of jewelry from it too! Thanks for checking this out!

• March 22, 2017 at 9:59 am

I’d never heard of breast milk jewellery, but I love the idea of it. As you said, it will be so unique. And I totally agree that it would be such an amazing gift if someone has donated their breast milk to you
    Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes 🙂
    Debbie

• March 22, 2017 at 4:20 pm

I’m so glad you like it! And happy to introduce you to the concept 🙂 Thank you for checking it out!

• March 22, 2017 at 9:34 am

I have never heard of this. Very interesting concept. Beautiful!
    #alittlebitofeverything

• March 22, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Thank you so much! It’s not your typical jewelry, that’s for sure, but it’s so special!

• March 22, 2017 at 8:57 am

This is beautiful! I had no idea such a thing existed. What a special keepsake! Breastfeeding really is a journey.

• March 22, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Thank you! Each mom has her own special journey, and I love how they keep a part of it with them always. And for those who don’t breastfeed, they can still have a beautiful piece of jewelry made from a keepsake! Thank you so much for checking this out!

• March 22, 2017 at 8:08 am

I heard of this a little while ago. I’m not sure it is something that would appeal to me but I do understand why some people would like it. Plus they are seriously beautiful pieces of jewellery.
    #BloggerClubUK

• March 22, 2017 at 8:33 am

Thank you so much! I know this isn’t for everyone… the nice thing is that you don’t even need breast milk, I can also make jewelry from keepsakes! Thanks for reading!

• March 22, 2017 at 8:33 am

Thanks! I really love making it – it’s just so special!

• March 21, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Wow, I love it. I love this idea. I wish you had been around when i was breastfeeding my kids years ago. Good luck! Thanks for sharing with #bigpinklink

• March 21, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Thank you so much! If you decide you’d like a piece of keepsake jewelry made from their lovie, flower petal, etc., let me know! 🙂

• March 21, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Thank you so much, I’m glad you like my line!

• March 21, 2017 at 2:59 am

What a lovely idea! I have never heard of this before, such a lovely keepsake for a family! #bigpinklink

• March 18, 2017 at 4:19 am

My first reaction was ‘weird’ but some of these are sooooo beautiful! I’ll definitely be popping to look at the collection #sharingthebloglove

• March 20, 2017 at 8:44 pm

LOL I completely understand. I’m glad you like my pieces though!

• March 17, 2017 at 2:28 pm

These are such a lovely celebration of something that can be a real struggle and triumph as a mum. I found breastfeeding really difficult but I loved that we got there in the end and I was really proud of us both. I love the teardrop earrings, they’re absolutely beautiful. Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

• March 17, 2017 at 7:16 pm

It’s such a great feeling when you’ve struggled, but are finally able to do it. I’m so glad you like the jewelry and see it as a celebration as well. We moms need to celebrate our struggles and things we conquer!

• March 17, 2017 at 1:48 pm

You make beautiful jewelry darling 🙂

Happy that you are so passionate about your work!

#fabfriday

• March 17, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Aw, thank you so much! I really do love it – it’s indeed a passion. 🙂

• March 17, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Fascinating. I never even thought about something like this.

Thanks for sharing on #FridayFrivolity

• March 17, 2017 at 7:17 pm

It is fascinating, isn’t it? Such a great way to capture a memory – and a beautful way too!

• March 17, 2017 at 12:16 pm

This is something to think about whilst I breast feed #sharethebloglove

• March 17, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Definitely! It’s a wonderful reminder of your journey with your baby.

• March 17, 2017 at 9:32 am

I recently finished my breastfeeding journey, two kids, a year of tandem feeding 3 3/4 years straight nursing. I should have got something cool like this with my breastmilk too.

• March 17, 2017 at 11:04 am

Wow, tandem feeding – I applaud you! It’s hard enough with one, I can’t imagine two! 🙂 You could always consider a piece of keepsake jewelry with a piece of their lovie in it. 🙂

• March 17, 2017 at 8:50 am

Some people find it really wired, but I actually love it. I would give it to my daughter on her Mother’s Day – but unfortunately I no longer have any milk left! lol! Thank you so much for sharing this with us on #FabFridayPost x

• March 17, 2017 at 9:18 am

It’s such a special type of jewelry, isn’t it? I just love it! I you know what, you don’t even need breast milk – I can also make jewelry from keepsakes like a piece of baby blanket, lovie, etc! Thanks for checking my post out!

• March 17, 2017 at 8:49 am

This post came at a perfect time. Last year for my birthday I meant to treat myself to a breast milk necklace to celebrate my breastfeeding journey with my daughter. You reminded me to get on that before she stops nursing (not that it seems like it’ll end anytime soon). Thanks so much! #fridayfrivolity Xx

• March 17, 2017 at 9:20 am

LOL I hear ya! My son doesn’t seem anywhere close to stopping either. But I’m not complaining. 🙂 When you’re ready for your special piece let me know! Thanks for checking out my post.