If there is one thing my kids do well, it is cry. They came into this world crying and they haven’t really stopped since. Children cry for so many different reasons, I can’t even keep track of them all… Mommy leaving, not wanting to eat their veggies, getting hurt – you name it. But, most of the time they cry for completely ridiculous reasons that don’t even make any sense. Crying seems to be the very first reaction to anything. I have had to learn to decipher the difference between the “sticker ripped” cry and the “I fell off the top of the swing set and broke my leg” cry. I’ll be honest…sometimes it is hard to tell!
Here are 18 non-life threatening reasons that my kids cry:
- I ask them to wear pants outside.
- Tell them to take a shower.
- We ran out of paper towels.
- The chair was stuck.
- Her teeth aren’t working (Ummm…what?).
- The granola bar broke into two pieces.
- She can’t put on an infant shoe when she is 3.
- It wasn’t her birthday.
- Barbie is not a boy.
- Cat food is not for kids to eat.
- I won’t let her eat chalk.
- The dog is “copying” her.
- I made her eggs on the stove, not the microwave.
- He doesn’t want to go to college. (He was 4 when he said this.)
- The sprinkler got her wet.
- The rain is not hot.
- His little sister is not a boy.
- He is afraid of his wee wee.
In all fairness, I probably cry for silly reasons too. In fact, my kids make me cry all the time. Sometimes, it’s because they are growing up too quickly. Sometimes, it’s because they frustrate me or make me angry. And sometimes…it’s because I am laughing so hard at the ridiculous reasons they are crying!
Barrie has been featured on Scary Mommy, Babble, Parent Co., Sammiches and Psych Meds, The Tribe Magazine, Her View from Home, For Every Mom, and is a contributing writer on Modern Mom. Follow her antics at www.dailydumpshow.com.
Latest posts by Barrie Bismark (see all)
- The Loss of an “On-Demand” Movie: The Toddler Stages of Grief - February 13, 2017
- Big Girls Don’t Cry: 18 Ridiculous Reasons My Kids Cry - November 5, 2016
- Say What?! 20 Crazy Things I’ve Actually Said as a Parent - October 19, 2016