Ghost in the Graveyard is one of our kids’ favorite outdoor games to play with the neighbors. In a world of video games and technical gadgets, I’m happy to see our kids engage in good old fashioned outdoor play. I know in a few years my kids will probably not want to go trick-or-treating or engage in these childhood games, so I created these ghost in the graveyard cupcakes as a fun reminder of my little ghost’s and goblin’s carefree childhood days. These Halloween cupcakes are a little scary, a little playful, and a whole lot of chocolate goodness! They also a blast to make with your kids. Happy Haunting!
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 stick butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Ghosts: one package of Peeps Marshmallow Ghosts
- Graveyards: One package Pepperidge Farm Milano milk chocolate cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, milk, and eggs.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the boiling water. Using a spoon, stir until combined.
- Line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Fill each liner 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the cocoa powder, water, and vanilla.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar.
- Mix on medium speed for 3-5 minutes, or until spreadable.
- Place a small amount of icing into a decorating bag that has been fitted with a small round tip.
- Pipe "RIP" onto the center of 12 Milano cookies.
- When cupcakes are cooled, pipe icing onto the center of cupcakes.
- Using a butter knife, cut a slit into the center of each cupcake.
- Insert a ghost Peep or "graveyard" into the slit.
Recipe courtesy of What’s Baking, Babycakes?