The Wizard of Oz is one of my all-time favorite movies. I’ll never forget dressing as the Wicked Witch of the West at my first Halloween party or dressing my daughter as Dorothy on her first Halloween. I created these melted witch hat cupcakes so my kids can share in the wicked fun this iconic character has created throughout the years.
- 1 box devil's food cake plus water, oil, and eggs (as listed on box)
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Several drops green food coloring
- One small bag of Bugles snack food
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp shortening
- One box Keebler Fudge Stripes cookies
- 1 small bag of pretzel sticks
- 1 box Rainbow Punch Fruit by the Foot flavored snacks
- Prepare cupcakes according to directions on back of box
- Using the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, cream the butter and shortening.
- Add the vanilla and milk.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar.
- Add 5-7 drops of green food coloring.
- Mix on medium speed until combined.
- Place chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on 50 percent power for one minute. Stir. Microwave for 30 additional seconds. Repeat until chips are melted.
- Dip Bugles into the chocolate and cool on waxed paper.
- When chocolate is hardened, use a knife to spread a light layer of frosting around the outside round top of the Bugles.
- Attach the Bugles to the center of the fudge stripe cookie and place onto the center of the cupcake.
- Break off Fruit by the Foot snacks into 1 inch strips.
- Wrap the Fruit by the Foot around the ends of a pretzel stick. Wrap tightly, but leave a small "cone shape" at the end for the tip of the broomstick.
- Set on the brim of the witches' hats.
This recipe originally appeared on What’s Baking Babycakes