In talking to mothers of grown children and asking the question, “What’s one piece of advice you would offer a new parent?” I was surprised at the diversity of the answers. Read on for some quick snippets of parenting rules and advice I received from other mothers.
11 Simple Parenting Rules to Follow
- Don’t “sermonize.” This means: don’t go in circles repeating things. The kids heard it the first time. The second, third, or fourth times goes in one ear and out the other and they tune you out!
- If you feel you’re too strict, don’t hesitate to loosen up!
- Give in on the little things, so when you have to stand firm (for their own protection) on the bigger things, you’re not considered a monster!
- Say “no” when it really counts.
- Don’t make a big issue over things unless it involves a matter of faith and morals. Sometimes it is better to look the other way.
- Make sure that the extracurricular activities your child chooses follow the continuity and morals of your home life.
- Be thankful for your children and treat them as special individuals.
- Have objectives and then be persistent.
- Have the same rules and regulations for each child.
- The most important thing to do when raising children is to be persistent and consistent. That way they won’t be confused as to what the rules are, how to follow them, and what’s expected of them.
- Something I did as I was raising my children was pray a lot! You just can’t go wrong!
As I mentioned, these are just quick little snippets, but I believe they make sense and are worth thinking about…and possibly adopting. What are your thoughts and advice?
Image via Flickr by Steve Johnson
Latest posts by Carol Schmidt (see all)
- 12 Ways to Cut Costs & Still Have a Beautiful Wedding - April 17, 2017
- How to Survive a Lay-Off - December 8, 2016
- Lemon Ice Box Pie Recipe - December 6, 2016