At our house, every Friday night is pizza night! BUT, we don’t buy it. Oh no, we’ve turned pizza night into a tradition where we make our own pizzas. Not only do we look forward to it all week and have a blast making our own pizzas, but they’re also SO much more delicious than any we could buy at the local pizza joint. In an effort to make our pizza *slightly* healthier, I started using whole wheat flour in the pizza dough instead of just white flour. While you can certainly use only whole wheat flour and omit white flour altogether, I’ve found that it makes the crust much more dense. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, it’s just that I like my pizza dough a little lighter. Personal taste here. Start your own tradition and turn pizza night into family bonding time by making your pizza pie!
After you’ve made your dough, get the pizza recipe here to learn how to turn it into a magical, delicious pizza!
- 2-1/2 cups white flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour (plus more for rolling)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 envelope yeast (2-1/4 tsp)
- 1-1/2 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp olive oil (plus more for coating bowl)
- Combine flours, sugar, salt, and yeast in large bowl.
- Add olive oil and stir.
- Add hot water and stir until a dough ball forms. You made need to add additional flour until it's not too sticky and you can work with it.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface.
- Put dough on work surface and kneed until it's a smooth, firm ball.
- Grease a large bowl with olive oil.
- Put dough ball into bowl and roll it around to coat entire ball and bowl.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and set aside in warm place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Cut dough into to pieces and cover each loosely. Allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
This recipe is a modification of Bobby Flay's
Latest posts by Kellie S (see all)
- 7 Tasty & Healthy Road Trip Snacks For Kids - May 22, 2017
- 6 Cleaning Hacks That Will Make Your Life Easier - April 10, 2017
- What is Breast Milk Jewelry and Keepsake Jewelry Anyway? - April 2, 2017