I love Mexican food. I mean, who doesn’t? When my husband visited friends along the Texas-Mexico border last year, they insisted he bring back a cookbook that featured authentic Mexican dishes that they grew up with. Seeing as how he wanted to pick up souvenirs and knows my love of cooking (and his love of my cooking) he didn’t hesitate. We have grown to love this cookbook. One of our favorite recipes is Chicken Tamale Pie. It’s so easy, because I use canned chicken to make it a quick dinner when life gets hectic (but of course you can cook a chicken and dice it up as well). The masa pie crust is insanely delish. While it has no butter, it tastes buttery, is super flaky, and could be filled with any number of wonderful fillings. Which I will try. I’m already making a list of new recipes I want to experiment with inside the crust. For the meantime though, I will continue making the Chicken Tamale Pie because…it’s just that good.
- 2-1/2 cups Masa Harina
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 (12.5 oz.) cans cooked chicken
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) can cream-style corn
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilis
- 3/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Butter a 2.5-quart casserole dish.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Line the bottom and sides of the casserole dish evenly with the masa.
- Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add oil, then add chicken, garlic, onion, and seasonings.
- Saute until onion is tender.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cheese), and blend in well.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, then cover and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Add filling to masa-lined casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven until cheese has melted (about 3-5 minutes).
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Dig in!
Latest posts by Kellie S (see all)
- 6 Cleaning Hacks That Will Make Your Life Easier - April 10, 2017
- What is Breast Milk Jewelry and Keepsake Jewelry Anyway? - April 2, 2017
- 7 Ways to Trick Your Kids Into Eating Veggies and Meat - March 31, 2017