I don’t know a single kid who doesn’t like popsicles, but the sugary snack makes me cringe. I never feel good about giving them to my kids and their friends, because I feel like I’m giving them a glass of sugar water. But, when the heat of summer hit this year and they were digging around in the freezer, I knew I had to do something. I decided it was time to come up with a recipe that gives them a sweet and tasty frozen treat, but also one that’s healthy and I can feel good about them devouring.
Tofu is such a wonderful ingredient because it’s a shot of protein and doesn’t have much of a flavor, allowing your other flavors to shine. It blends well in a food processor or blender, turning into an almost creamy consistency. I love making desserts with tofu because it’s so versatile. And it just happens to be the perfect base for these popsicles.
While this recipe calls for mixed berries, you can tailor it to suit your own tastes with any combination of fruit. You can also use fruit juice instead of water if you prefer.
- 6 oz tofu (silken or firm)
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 tsp honey (optional)
- Popsicle mold
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into popsicle mold.
- Freeze for 5 hours, or until popsicles are frozen solid.
- Instead of water, try mixing in your favorite fruit juice. - Use any fruit you like.