This simple pancake recipe uses whole wheat flour and cashew milk (of course regular milk can be substituted). Enjoy plain pancakes, or add in any number of mixers to customize it to your taste, such as nuts, berries, chocolate chips, peanut butter, raisins, and more!
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 plain, unsweetened cashew milk (you can also use milk or almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup white all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- Add-ins (see Notes below for ideas and amounts)
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg until fluffy.
- Beat in all ingredients except butter.
- Heat skillet over medium heat (or 375 degrees).
- Grease griddle with butter (optional).
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake onto the skillet.
- Cook pancakes until they are bubbly, dry around the edges, and puffy.
- Turn and cook other side until golden brown.
- Add-ins - use any of these ideas to create your own delicious combinations! - 1/2 cup berries, fresh or frozen and thawed/drained - 1/3 chocolate chips - 1 tbsp peanut butter (powdered peanut butter works particularly well) - 1/2 cup nuts (for a richer flavor, roast them lightly and cool before adding to the batter) - 1/3 cup fresh banana, mashed
- If you prefer thinner pancakes, add 1-2 tbsp more milk to the batter.
- To keep pancakes warm while you cook the rest, heat the oven to 275 degrees and place an over-proof plate in it. As you make pancakes, slide them onto the plate to keep them warm until you're ready to serve and dive in!
- These pancakes freeze nicely. To do so, simply allow them to cool completely, then place them on a cookie sheet and place in freezer until they freeze. Once frozen, place them in a Ziplock bag and store in freezer. When it's time defrost, place the desired number of pancakes on a plate and microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute - or until warm - turning over halfway through.
Latest posts by Kellie S (see all)
- 7 Tasty & Healthy Road Trip Snacks For Kids - May 22, 2017
- 6 Cleaning Hacks That Will Make Your Life Easier - April 10, 2017
- What is Breast Milk Jewelry and Keepsake Jewelry Anyway? - April 2, 2017