This delicious and easy sausage, shrimp, and quinoa recipe brings the tastes of New Orleans to your dinner table with a healthy twist. Quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods and has almost twice as much fiber as other whole grains, making it a filling and satisfying addition to any meal. If you’re not crazy about quinoa however, feel free to use rice in this recipe instead. This is another kid-approved dinner!
Sausage, Shrimp, And Quinoa Dirty Rice
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (you could also use canola oil)
- 16 ounces mild breakfast sausage (like Jimmy Dean)
- 1 (10-oz.) pkg. chopped onion, pepper, and celery blend
- 12 oz. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 4 cups cooked red quinoa
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage to pot and stir to crumble as it cooks until browned and cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add vegetables to pot; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until tender and onions are slightly translucent. Drain grease.
- Add shrimp, Cajun seasoning, and sweet paprika to sausage mixture in pot; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir quinoa into mixture; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until shrimp are done (they will turn pink) and quinoa is heated through.
This recipe is a modification of the original recipe by: Emily Nabors Hall, Cooking Light, July 2016
Latest posts by Hooray For Moms - staff sourced (see all)
- 4 Tips for Choosing the Right Car Seat - May 23, 2017
- 5 Tips for Throwing an Epic Easter Brunch on a Budget - April 8, 2017
- Carrot Cake Waffles with Maple Cream Cheese Drizzle Recipe - April 7, 2017